Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Day 22


She’s gone from nurturer, discipliner, prayer warrior, and friend in the 29 years I’ve known her. She has lifted me up in the times when I felt at my lowest, and she has celebrated with me in my greatest times of joy. She’s my mom. And today I am thankful for her. Our relationship has changed through the years, and the same mother who used to cry when I would misbehave, the mother who would place her hand on the front door and pray angels of protection over me after I had lied and left saying I was going here or there with really no intention at all of being where I said, is the mother who stood along aside me as the doctor told me my unborn baby had no heartbeat, and the mother who spent nearly 2 weeks with me when Bax was born…taking late night feedings so I could sleep, making cookies and coffee for visitors, cleaning my house, making me dinner, spoiling my husband, rubbing my feet, and finally crying when it was time to leave. She had a firm hand when needed, through my teenage years when I decided sin was where I wanted to live, and yet she welcomed me with open arms when I decided Light was the path I’d now choose. Somehow, over the years, she became a friend. I’ll admit, I didn’t always “like” her. I wanted her to butt out, let me do as I please, and that is when she would quietly pray, beg God to bring me back. And He has always answered her prayers. There have been more times in the past year than I can count on 2 hands and 2 feet that I have stopped and realized just what a lifesaver she is to me. Bax has loved her from day one. Our scents must be similar and he has always taken to her quite well. She loves my son {almost} as much as I do. She treats my husband as her own child. She is the queen of hostessing. Nobody who walks through her doors ever feels unwelcomed. She can whip together Thanksgiving dinner on the spur of the moment when I decide to drop in for dinner. And magically, she’s never hungry when we’re all out to eat and the food is served, because she swoops in and entertains Bax while her food gets cold, letting me eat mine while its hot. I swear the woman is a saint (and she will be disappointed in me for swearing!) Today I couldn’t be more thankful for my momma. If I could rewrite the dictionary, I’d put her picture next to the definition of mom (cliché much lol!). But its so true. I have been blessed with the best mom in the world. So happy I also get to call her my friend.

No comments: