Tuesday, June 5, 2012
Welcome to my soapbox
Today, this blog is serving as my soap box. All comments made here are strictly my opinion. Take them with a grain of salt :) This post is all over the place and has no rhythm..I’m not a writer, I’m just a girl putting my feelings and thoughts on “paper”.
I saw this quote on facebook today, and I’ve really been contemplating it. It’s something that I’ve thought about for awhile, but this author has worded it so well. We live in a day and age of technology, and while we can all benefit from being able to text a friend or shoot a quick message on facebook, having technology so eagerly at our fingertips can also be harmful. I am one who can say just about anything through email or text, but I have a hard time showing my feelings face to face. So I am guilty. It’s easy for me to avoid a convo face to face and then send a message later saying how I really feel. I am also guilty of feeling extreme jealousy of the life I “think” people live, based solely on what I see on their facebook, when in reality, we all deal with things and nobody lives a peachy keen life.
For the last 2 years, life has been hard. There is one person in particular who I’d like to take a bullet to their forehead just for the effects that he has had on our life (quit trying to figure out who, just read the blog). Bobby and I are making it, we are happy, we are in love, and in the middle of struggle, God gave us our biggest blessing ever, Baxton Thomas Hall. It is my opinion that you shouldn’t put ALL your business on facebook, so I’m not sure what people think of me when they browse my facebook, but I’m hoping they see that I love my husband, my son, and my family more than life itself and that they don’t see that I struggle every day with wondering what God’s plan is for our life. But, on the flip side, that has be thinking. Am I looking at facebook thinking people are living the peachy keen life and in reality they have struggles too? There are a few people in particular whose facebooks I frequent, and each time, jealousy stings my heart. Why do THEY get to be a stay at home? Why do THEY never struggle financially? Why do THEY get to live in a big house in a nice subdivision? Why do THEY get to have more than one kid? Why do THEY have jobs they both love? Why do THEY live such a perfect life? The problem here is its all based on assumption, based on what I see through my computer screen and think their life is actually like. And then the root of jealousy digs in deep, and instead of appreciating the things I DO have, I’m sitting there sulking because I don’t have what they have. And nothing good can come of that.
We all struggle. Nobody in this world is perfect. If you have lived a life where every plan you’ve ever had has gone perfectly, please raise your hand so I can promptly de-friend you. I like to surround myself with “real” friends; people who have been through struggle and come out on the other end. People whose facebook life isnt all there is to them. Friends who know that the picture I just posted of Baxton smiling and happy….was promptly followed by a fit that lasted 20 minutes and made me nearly gauge my own eyeballs out but yes, I still think he’s the most amazing child on earth and I’ll post it over and over again so everyone knows :) Friends who know my struggles, know when life is tough, and still love me anyway.
I’m not really sure what my point is here today…I am just finding myself struck by the reality that what you see while sitting at your computer really isn’t all there is to people. It is worth our time to really get to know people, to share in their struggles, to celebrate in lifes good moments, and to be a friend who knows the real person behind facebook.
Now stepping off my soapbox….
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Where is the like button on this page?? lol Love it friend. All so true!!
Post a Comment